2.10.2012

Third week in the Chelsea

If you're reading this and didn't know, I'm currently living in Durham, North Carolina for a six-month internship ("Co-op") with IBM's Rational Gearbox team.

I've been exploring my environment as much as a 9-5 will allow, including several trips into downtown Durham, a lovely dinner with some friends from Virginia Tech, joining the local Hackerspace, vaguely-creeps-inducing meetups to play Cthulu-universe boardgames, and a short shopping spree (three items) at the aptly named Hillsborough Yarn Shop

Dsc00026

The latter trip was to stock up for my third hat, pictured above: It's my first time doing stranded color, and I hope I'm keeping the carries long enough to avoid the dreaded scrunching issue that everyone seems to warn me about. What you see there is actually inside-out from the end product: I'm using a variation on this pattern, with stripes on the folded part. I realized about two rows ago that I'm going to have to either knit inside out or switch directions (thus leaving a weird step at the seam) in order to keep the pattern the right way around. Oh well.

I'm also learning me a Haskell (whether it's for Great Good or not has yet to be determined), and I'm planning to read through The Haskell Road to Logic, Maths, and Programming as soon as that gets here.

Work has been really good so far. My team is extremely friendly, and everything about the actual job is looking good so far. IBM is just one of a huge set of three-letter acronyms I'm still absorbing. Lots of meetings, no code written yet, but I think I'm slowly getting there. Internal information is spread out through a very large number of resources that are very time-consuming to search, so I'm grateful to have such a helpful group of people I can bother relentlessly (Thanks Joe!).

I'm thinking about coming home over spring break (for some value of spring break), and maybe taking a trip to visit some other friends, so I may see some of my Blacksburg friends then, but if not I'll be sure to catch up with you when I do see you!

Posted via email from Ben Weinstein-Raun

No comments:

Post a Comment